About KING: Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition.
During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events. During the summer months we trade our whistles for sunglasses and run four day camps across NYC.
- Kids in the Game is looking for Camp Directors that will lead the summer camp charge to make the 2019 summer the best one ever. Will you be tying shoes, putting on sunscreen, answering a million little one’s questions? Absolutely. But you will also be creating a positive environment for all campers that they will go home bragging about and what is better than that? Nothing. Most importantly you will be providing a supportive, safe, and fun environment for the youth of New York City to grow and learn while experiencing the non-stop fun of Summer Camp!
- Your core responsibility is to lead by example for both the campers and the staff. Be someone they look up to, and not just because you are taller than the campers! The Camp Director is responsible for general management of the overall camp. You will be the wearer of many hats... (you can choose the hat style, but know there will be many)!
- The Before:
- Attend orientations, prepare a general outline for campsite, formulate camp groups, assign staff to positions, prepare site and conduct staff trainings.
Ensure that all program equipment and supplies are ordered, available and properly maintained.
- The During:
- Safety First:
- Recognize, prevent and correct safety hazards; guard the health and safety of all campers and staff.
Maintain and enforce all camp safety rules and policies, and ensures that safety equipment is in good order and readily available.
Be able to identify camper behavior issues and respond with a plan of action
- Teamwork Makes the Dream Work:
- Work to reduce conflict among campers and staff, create a team-friendly environment.
Act as a key player in problem solving with staff issues, discipline and parental concerns.
Work with Assistant Director's to hold staff events throughout the summer and create weekly staff incentives to keep up moral
- Plan, Plan, Plan:
- Demonstrate organizational skills and have a plan. Plan for the known and have a plan for the unknown.
Structure and coordinate pre-summer and ongoing training for all staff
- Play (almost) All Day:
- Plan and execute the activities in coordination with the program staff and supervisors.
Empower the camp staff team to deliver and supervise all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Create that Paper Trail:
- Responsible for keeping staff personnel files up-to-date and ensuring that staff certifications are valid and on site at all times.
Ensure that all necessary forms are in place before a child enters any program, including up-to-date physicals, immunization records, registration packets, waivers, etc. with the Assistant Director.
Responsible for daily enrollment and accurate attendance records for staff and campers.
- Communication makes the world go ground:
- Communicate with parents and staff on curriculum and special events of each program.
Notify parents/ guardians of children about session dates, camp trips, theme days and schedule changes well in advance.
Make yourself available to parents for questions, concerns and praises (sometimes parents praise right?)!
- ***Loose Ball Rule: Team player; performs other duties as assigned
Our Core Coaching Values (Summer Camp Style):
- We are Committed: Engage in all camp activities with the campers. Plan and lead small and large group activities for campers during scheduled group times, transitions, or other down times. Get to know the kids, learn their names, be their role model.
- We are Present: Be attentive to the physical, social and emotional needs of the campers assigned to your group. Checking your phone can wait, making camp great for kiddos can’t.
- We are Positive: Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and serve as a role model. Promote positive and appropriate behavior through speech and action on a daily basis.
- We are Prepared: Dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and pre camp training/staff orientation to ensure quality standards are upheld.
- We are Ambassadors: It’s simple, live these core KING values every day and you will be our best ambassador. Be proud of your amazing work with today’s youth and know that this work truly matters. Oh and don’t forget to brag about your job to your friends at your 4th of July parties. Obviously.
- Bachelors degree required; advanced degree preferred
- DOE or DOH fingerprinted is a plus
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
- Pass a NY State run background check
- CPR PRO, First Aid and AED certified
- Minimum 3+ years professional camp leadership experience – should include experience in youth program development and implementation; summer camp operation; recreational programming; staff supervision; work with youth/teens/families, and parent relations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with fellow employees, participants, parents and caregivers
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
- Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations. Ability to interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
- *Must be committed to working all weeks of camp.
- Camp Dates: June 24th – August 16th; 8-week commitment; no camp on July 4th. We do have 6 week openings too at all camps.
- Camp Hours: 7:30am to 4:30pm (aftercare runs to 6pm; rotation each week)
- Upper West Side – 147 W 70th St, New York, NY 10023
- Upper East Side – 4 East 90th St, New York, NY 10128
- Park Slope – 588 6th St, Brooklyn, NY 11215
- Inwood – 620 Isham St, New York, NY 10034
- Riverdale – 5521 Mosholu Ave, Bronx, NY 10471
- Compensation: Based on experience
To apply for the position, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com