About KING: Kids in the Game is dedicated to developing New York City’s youth by providing opportunities through sports and fitness to the schools and communities we serve. Our goal is to develop the next generation of leaders by developing healthy habits, an active lifestyle, and promoting personal growth through play and competition. During the school year, KING is rooted in dozens of schools around New York City, offering recess, after-school, physical education, early drop off fitness, and sports instruction. In addition, KING operates summer camps, sports clinics (basketball, soccer, volleyball), and special events.
Position Description: We're currently looking for Youth Development Specialist who are available for the 2018-2019 School Year to teach in our Recess, After School and/or Enrichment programs.
Our Youth Development Specialists Rock! Specialists are responsible for providing support and structure within our education setting, including but not limited to classroom, school-yard and/or gymnasium. They have a passion for helping youth ages 4 to 16 years old, develop socially, emotionally and physically through structured and creative play and learning. They are responsible for creating and enhancing learning opportunities as well as planning, organizing, and implementing age and space appropriate activities and programs for both individuals and groups.
- Days and Hours:
- Teaching sessions are up to 5 times per week/1-3 hours per session, depending on site
- Teaching sessions can be either in the morning (Recess) or afternoon (After School/Enrichment), based on programming needs and Specialist’s availability
- Must be flexible and willing to travel. Opportunities take place in the Bronx, Manhattan and Brooklyn
- Team/Class Size:
- 15-30 students depending on school/organization
- Must be comfortable to work both independently and in a team environment
- All Instructors will need to be fingerprinted (DOE/DOH) and will need to go through a background check
- All Instructors will need to attend mandatory trainings prior to the start of the school year and during school year
Responsibilities and Duties
- Ensure that youth are in a safe and nurturing movement environment that encourages creativity, learning and expression
- Facilitate and engage youth in structured and enriching learning activities that will provide an enjoyable experience for youth, families, the school and communities we serve Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Work to reduce conflict among participants, create a team-friendly environment with positivity, while establishing and improving team unity and spirit
- Plan. Plan. Plan: Demonstrate organizational skill, including setting goals for your class, lesson planning, timelines, etc.
- Adapt teaching methods to meet and support student’s social, emotional and learning needs both in and out of the classroom
Our Core KING Values:
- We are Committed: Plan and lead small and large group activities for participants during scheduled group times, transitions, or other down times. Get to know the kids, learn their names, be their role model.
- We are Present: be attentive to the physical, social and emotional needs of the campers assigned to your group. Checking your phone can wait, making a program great for kiddos can’t.
- We are Positive: Maintain an enthusiastic attitude and serve as a role model. Promote positive and appropriate behavior through speech and action on a daily basis.
- We are Prepared: dress appropriately, arrive on time, stay until the end of your shift, attend all appropriate staff meetings, and pre camp training/staff orientation to ensure quality standards are upheld.
- We are Ambassadors: It’s simple, live these core KING values every day and you will be our best ambassador. Be proud of your amazing work with today’s youth and know that this work truly matters. And brag about your job at all family and friend gatherings. Obviously.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bilingual is preferred, but not required.
- CPR, First Aid and AED certified, preferred
- 2+ years’ experience working with youth and/or in a youth setting
- Customer service and organization skills
- A passion for teaching and engaging youth through thought provoking activities that encourages social and emotional development
- Ability to design age and space-appropriate lesson plans based on youth’s skill set
- Ability to structure lessons that incorporate leadership, communication and team building
- Ability to manage a classroom and/or group independently or within a team environment
- Strong understanding of behavior management and behavior management tools
- Ability to communicate effectively and in a timely fashion with participants, families and caregivers, both verbally and non-verbally
- Ability to solve practical problems in a variety of situations as well as interpret and understand instructions, both written and oral
- Competitive hourly rate. Professional Development. Opportunities for additional hours, including weekends, and during the summer as a part of the KING Summer Camp team.
To apply for the position, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org